MOLTO – Multilingual Online Translation.
The project aims to deliver pluggable open-source libraries enabling standard translation tools and workflows. This technology will be a basic building block in translation and retrieval services for both information producers and consumers.
Three systems will be built as showcases:
- Mathematical exercises in 15 languages
- Patent data in at least 3 languages
- Museum object descriptions in 15 languages
MOLTO is funded as an Information and Communication Technologies Project under European Commission 7th FP. It started on 1st March 2010 and will run till late 2012. MOLTO is coordinated by University of Gothenburg, Sweden.
Contact: Borislav Popov
- Develop a set of tools for translating texts between the 23 official EU languages in real time and with high quality
- Build an engine to mediate between natural language and structured knowledge (ontologies and knowledge bases)
- Build demonstrators for patents, education and museums
- Knowledge representation and reasoning infrastructure
- Modeling and ontology alignment for the needs of the use cases
- Two-way interoperability between ontology standards (OWL) and GF grammars, to enable multilingual natural-language-based interaction with machine-readable knowledge
- Using multiple languages to acquire new knowledge base entries
- Executing queries against the semantic knowledge databases