Requirements and Information
To help demonstrate the power and ease of use of S4, “Ontotext” AD (hereinafter “Ontotext”) is introducing the S4 Developers Challenge. The challenge will award $1,000 to developers that write interesting demos, applications or show cases utilizing the Self-Service Semantic Suite capabilities for text analytics, linked data and knowledge graph management.
All developers are welcome to submit their code for the challenge. The submissions must follow these requirements:
- The applications must use some of the S4 text analytics services: News / Bio-medical / Twitter annotation, or the News Classifier. Applications that also use the LOD service and/or utilize a self-managed RDF database in the Cloud (GraphDB) will get a higher evaluation score, but such use is optional and is not a requirement.
- Source code and accompanying documentation must be available under an open source Apache Software License 2.0. The Developer retains all intellectual property rights to the submitted application.
- The final version of the source code must be submitted to the GitHub repository for the challenge, though developers are free to use a source code management system of their choice during the development period.
- Sufficient documentation for deploying, configuring and running the application must be provided. Developers should also be available for inquiries by the S4 team during the evaluation period, in case further clarifications are needed.
- If applications require access to 3rd party web APIs these APIs must provide a free quota (e.g. Twitter, Webhose.io, Google Visualisation API, etc.), so the application can be used without the need for a paid 3rd party API access
- The application must be an original work of the developers, who by submitting it warrant that the application does not infringe any rights of third parties.
- Developers who are interested in participating in the S4 Developers Challenge can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a request via the S4 helpdesk and they will be granted write access to the GitHub repository for the challenge.
- Participating developers must be 13 years of age and older. If you wish to work as a team, the team must select one representative under whose name it will participate. The representative shall represent the team and assume all rights and responsibilities regarding Ontotext and this Developers Challenge. Ontotext will fulfil all its responsibilities only through the representative and will not contact individual team members
- Only one winning application will be selected to receive the monetary prize of $1,000, though all other applications will automatically be included in the next S4 Developers Challenge and will have another chance for competing for a new prize.
- The applications will be evaluated by Ontotext developers as well as a group of external experts in the area of text analytics, Linked Data and Semantic Technologies:
- The applications will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- Innovation & creativeness (40%)
- Functionality & development effort (30%)
- Code & documentation quality (20%)
- S4 users vote (10%)
- 90% of the scoring will be determined by Ontotext and the chosen external experts at their sole discretion. S4 users will be able to vote for the winning application as well and their vote will contribute to 10% of the final scoring.
- March 1st: the challenge will open
- March 31st: submissions due
- April 22nd: announcement of the winning application
- Winners will be individually notified by e-mail and will also be published on the S4 website and blog. The winning application will also be featured in the “Demos & Sample Code” section of the S4 documentation with the proper attribution to the original developer.
- Within seven days of receiving the notification e-mail from Ontotext, winners must reply with relevant information necessary to verify their identity and receive the prize money. Please note the prize may be canceled if there is no reply.
- Winners may be required to submit documents necessary to verify their identity and receive the prize money. Winners will be able to receive the prize money only if Ontotext is satisfied that the name of the developer matches the name of the prize recipient.
Personal Data and Marketing
- Personal information may be exchanged in the course of registration in the Challenge and/or for the award of the prize.
- Personal information collected from participants or winners may be used by Ontotext for the progress, promotions of the S4 Challenge and related affairs.
- All data collection and processing shall be accomplished in accordance with EU laws and in particular with the laws of Republic of Bulgaria.